By Terry L. Brock
Wanna get more business? Of course we all do. But the old ways of doing it have changed. That means we have to change to survive in a new culture and new world. Today’s marketing that works is oriented towards building strong relationships that are mutually beneficial. The old ways of tricks and techniques went out with the derby hat and cigar-smoking used car salesman. Ugh! Good riddance!
Effective marketing today calls for building solid, long-term relationships. This Relationship Marketing is critical for long-term business that is more relationally based than transactional.
Seth Godin’s new book about Tribes is a good example of how people want to be part of a special community. That could be those who go to a special place, buy a special product or follow a special leader. Think about Harley-Davidson bike riders who meet in Daytona Beach for their annual pilgrimage. Think about iPod owners who continually say how the Love (important word!) their iPods. Think about those who follow a rock band, a teacher or even a political figure. We all want to be part of a special group — a tribe — where we feel we belong and our special needs are met.
This is not about slick tactics. Recently I heard a speaker who demonstrated the exact wrong way to build relationships. He said he could help you get past the doorkeeper and get in to see the buyer. This speaker talked about several tactics which struck me as deceptive, conniving and even down-right dishonest. Maybe this would work temporarily in some situations but it sure doesn’t work to build solid, long-term relationships.
Special “Get Your Economy Going” Offer
After a lot of requests, I’m going to make a special offer to you. At this time a lot of people are scratching their heads and wondering how to get by and make it through this economy. Things are changing. Things are different than they were even just a short time ago.
Right now, if you are a member of my Online Coaching Program you will get a massive 50% discount on my hourly coaching fees. You have to be a member of the Online Coaching Program, but instead of the regular US$400 charge, you get me for only US$200 per hour. This way you can get a lot accomplished.
And rather than just one hour, here’s what you’re going to get:
- An Analysis of what you’re doing now
- Candid, objective opinions on what you should consider for future growth
- New revenue-generating options that you might have not even considered
- An audio of the interview we do (if you choose) to review.
In addition to that, you’ll also get my special 2-hour+ multi-media report on Brock’s Business Building Ideas. This report is packed with audio, video and reference material that you can use and share with your entire staff to generate more revenue and increase productivity.
So, for 1/2 price, you’re getting 3+ hours of specific assistance to build your business. I’ve never offered this before and now is the time to grab it. You need to take advantage of this now to build your business. Join the exciting Online Coaching Program for only $24.97/month and you’re qualified for this special offer!
Of course, if you’re a current member of the Online Coaching Program already, the Bonus on Brock’s Business Building ideas is yours for the asking! Also, you can get your own personalized coaching for the same special offer. Contact me (phone, email or Skype) and I’ll get it to you for no extra charge — just a way to say thank you for being part of the Online Coaching Program.
Act now. This offer won’t last forever. Get your personal and business economy going now. Contact me at Terry@TerryBrock.com and let’s set up a time. We’ll take your credit card and set up a time for your personalized consultation. Now is the time to act. Don’t wait as things are getting tight in the economy and now is the time to adapt, be flexible and take advantage of new opportunities for growth.
I look forward to hearing from you.
This is using tactics and tricks to deceive the customer. That is not what relationship marketing is about. Relationship Marketing is about sincerely listening to the needs of the prospect and customer and being there in a helpful way. You don’t become a trusted adviser by having a bag of tricks and slick maneuvers to deceive the prospect into meeting with you.
Think of it like farming — Relationship Farming. You build solid relationships over time helping to produce a bountiful harvest for both parties.
Here are 5 specific ways you can work to build those relationships:
1. Find a way to give them value (as defined by them) at low or no cost to you. This is where you have to be creative. Perhaps offering some advice on what is happening in the industry would help. Find ways to build their business with suggestions. Be creative.
2. Create a Special Audio CD. This is a special way to say hello to them. Instead of just another voice mail message or phone call, let them hear you, in your voice, thanking them for their business. Share ideas on how they could grow their own business. This audio CD is nothing fancy, in fact, the more they realize that you really did it yourself, the more it will mean to them. Save it to your computer and burn it to an audio CD. If you don’t know how to do that, hire a local high school kid to help!
3. Become a recognized and respect expert in the field. If someone respects and honors you, they will gladly take your call. Work hard to become that respected go to person in your industry. Pay the price by learning new skills and forging essential relationships at trade shows, association meetings and value-for-value network connecting.
4. Create Educational Value. Create a video or audio for the office on how they can solve a particular problem where they need help and you have ideas. Share this with the office. Don’t sell your stuff on this one. Give value. This can be a nice Holiday present that gets around any rules about No gifts over $25 or policies like that.
5. Be Personal. Come up with something very personal that shows you care about them and their business. Yes, you have to do your research. But, this is what will separate you from the competition.
And here’s one additional idea — Bonus for you: Become a trusted adviser to them by looking out for their needs. Be the one who supplies their needs. Always be on the lookout for articles, ideas and even photos which can help them. Even better bonus idea: Come up with a regular stream of ideas that you share with them which are incredibly valuable to them. They will want to listen to you. They will anticipate hearing from you regularly.
And hey, they will then take your calls because you’re not just another pushy salesperson. You can save time not having to learn all the get through the gatekeeper deception tricks!
Success today is not about using the latest, slickest tricks to break through into the office and make them take your call. It’s about honest-to-goodness caring and empathy with their needs. This attitude of genuine caring works in any economy.
Terry Brock is an international marketing coach and professional speaker who helps businesses market more effectively, leveraging technology. He shows busy professionals how to squeeze more out of their days using time-honored rules and practical technology tools. He can be reached at 407-363-0505, by e-mail at email@example.com or through his website at www.terrybrock.com.